[pacman-dev] [suggestion] Sandboxed package building

BlissSam m13253 at hotmail.com
Wed May 15 13:31:00 EDT 2013

On Wed, 15 May 2013 12:14:46 -0500, <danielwallace at gtmanfred.com> wrote:
> Have you looked at devtools? Extra-*-build builds in a clean chroot. Besides, users should be reading pkgbuilds before running makepkg.

It is true as you have said, however:

1. Does providing this feature cost a lot of time developing? If so, it is really better to give up implementing such a tiny function. IMHO, it is similar as implementing fakeroot during package().

2. Not all PKGBUILDs with something badly written can be recognized by user at first glance. I have once met a poor Makefile which even wrote temporary files in my home dir. (Though this kind of Makefile is hard to meet, it does cause troubles.) It is really hard to figure out if only by reading the PKGBUILD.

3. Chrooted building is necessary for maintainers, however sandbox is useful for normal users (non-maintainers) as they do not have time to maintain a separate chroot environment.

4. 'Users should be reading PKGBUILDs.' It is true. I read every PKGBUILDs when I make packages. But isn't it better if there is another protective layer such as sandbox?