[pacman-dev] RFC: pacdiff finding pacnews through libalpm

John Frazier eyeswide at gmail.com
Fri May 31 14:27:06 EDT 2013

I made up a program to help find pacnews that are in odd locations. It
includes a c utility based on vodiks pacrat. It uses libalpm to return
the path to pacnews and pacsaves from all active configs in the local
db. Then there is a version of pacdiff which has it run in place of find.

This is better than the current find or locate used in pacdiff which
doesn't look outside of /etc/ by default for performance reasons. With
this pacdiff can find syslinux config in /boot, or avahi's db in
/usr/lib with no noticeable delay. The only drawback I am aware of with
using the local db is cannot find pacsaves unless the package is
reinstalled.

I think this would be a useful inclusion to the contrib tools, so let me
know of what sucks about it and what it can be done to to get that
accomplished. it currently is in github, but I can make up patches
against pacman.git if wanted.

https://github.com/JohnFrazier/pacnewrat

John Frazier