[pacman-dev] Repo database(s) layout

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Nov 4 20:23:00 EST 2013

Hi,

We currently have a .db and .files databases, with .files being a
superset of .db.

An idea was formed on IRC to completely separate these.   I.e. .db stays
as it is and .files only includes the file lists.   We would then add
.source to include the source package information.   I would set
repo-add to automatically create all these files.

We would then add something like "-S --refresh-files" and "-S
--refresh-source" to download those files as a one off, printing a
warning when using them if they are out of date compared to the repo.
Another option is to use Usage as a flag for when to download them, but
refreshing all those every update seems excessive.

This would also allow us to have some basic pkgfile functionality in
pacman (-So).

So, there much to work out, but does the general idea sound good to people?

Allan