[pacman-dev] pacman-disowned

Jeremy Heiner scalaprotractor at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 20:55:54 EDT 2013

First, the /home question...

Everything under an unmanaged dir is guaranteed(*) also to be
unmanaged. So only the immediate contents of /home would be listed.
That's actually one of the mistakes the shell script makes: it runs
find, so it could potentially waste a lot of time digging deep into
the filesystem. My scala prototype only ever examines the contents of
managed dirs. That is all that's needed to answer the question "where
is all the unmanaged stuff on my filesystem?".

(*) Actually the approach works even if this is relaxed (i.e. managed
items within unmanaged dirs). My prototype examine all dirs containing
managed items and all parents of all such dirs - still way fewer than
find would.

My thoughts on the output are still nebulous. But I'm envisioning
something like `ls -l`...

The "-rwx" part would indicate status. The first letter could be 'p'
(or '-') to indicate managed (or not). Next maybe 'f' (or '-') if it
exists in the filesystem (or not), and an 'm' if there is an mtree
signature. Then one letter for each of the mtree tests: Uid, Gid,
Mode, Time, Kind, Link, Size, ... where the capital letter indicates
failure and '-' indicates success. I'm sure I'll remember more to add
later.

The next column (like "size" for ls) could show the number of packages
claiming ownership. My prototype actually lists all the owners instead
of just counting, but that's maybe a "-verbose" option. I include the
count because a 1 here is boring so you want a way to filter those
entries out.

Add the item name at the end and you get:

pf-------- 94 /etc/
pfm-------  1 /etc/arch-release
-f--------  0 /etc/crackdict
pfm---T---  1 /etc/crypttab
-f--------  0 /etc/group-
p---------  1 /etc/motd

Something along those lines. The unit tests for -Qk and -Qkk are
almost ready to go, but real life stuff keeps interrupting...
tomorrow, I hope.
Jeremy