[pacman-dev] pacman-disowned

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Oct 5 21:10:31 EDT 2013

On 06/10/13 06:04, Jeremy Heiner wrote:
> There are 3 implementations if you count the original
> "pacman-disowned". But they all fail to meet the requirements of the
> scenario I described previously. You've mentioned the longish run time
> for this feature, and that is in fact motivation for including it in
> the pacman binary. Any external script would need to invoke pacman
> three times (-Ql, -Qk, -Qkk) in order to meet the requirements. It
> does not seem advantageous to force the user to wait three times
> longer than necessary.

Why call both -Qk and -Qkk?   So lets say any external script calls -Ql
and -Qkk.   Two things.

Given if cchecking for unowned files is part of pacman, it _will not_ be
part of -Qkk, both -Qkk and -Q --unowned will need called.  Two things...

Also, I think this is the key factor to excluding this from pacman.
>From your implementation:

    for ( item <- List( "dev", "proc", "run", "sys", "tmp",
      // these look wrong, but see .head & .tail below
      "certs/etc/ssl", "locale/usr/share", "pkg/var/cache/pacman" ) ) {

I assume these are exclusion lists.   They will always be incomplete and
non-portable so need to be configurable.  We are not having such
configuration in pacman.conf.

This all points to an extrenal script.

Allan