[pacman-dev] Bug or feature? Nonexistent SRCDEST or PKGDEST

Emil Lundberg lundberg.emil at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 08:37:22 EST 2014

Hello!

While playing around with a package of mine, I noticed that the command

$ SRCDEST=/tmp/emil/foo/src makepkg

fails with error message "You do not have write permission to store
downloads in /tmp/emil/foo/src." if the directory does not already exist.
Likewise, setting PKGDEST to a nonexistent directory causes failure with
error message "You do not have write permission to store packages in
PKGDEST".

I patched /usr/bin/makepkg to create the directories if necessary, and now
it works fine. Since it was so easy, and I imagine others have experimented
with the above environment variables, I am lead to ask: Is this behaviour
by design, or should I submit my patch?

Keep up the great work!
Emil Lundberg