[pacman-dev] Shabang in scripts

Pierre Neidhardt ambrevar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 04:19:44 EST 2014

On 14-03-02 10:01:32, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 02/03/14 06:14, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> > This maybe a futile question, but not much to lose here so I'm still asking:
> > should we let the autotools change the path of the interpreter in the shabang of
> > the different scripts? (See makepkg and so on.)
> >
> > Actually, according to
> >
> >       https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Bash_Coding_Style
> >
> > it is said that the interpreter should be /bin/bash, not /usr/bin/bash. The
> > latter being far less common. Note that the source files are properly set to
> > /bin/*, only the autotools change them to the realpath of the build system.
> >
> > This is really a minor issue, but I believe that switching it back to /bin/bash
> > would remove one portability problem for most systems. For instance, to run
> > makepkg on a non-Arch system, we download the 'pacman' binary package first,
> > from which we extract the 'makepkg' and the 'makepkg.conf' files. Since the
> > package was built on an Arch system, the shabang is set to /usr/bin/bash. On
> > non-Arch system, we usually need to make to change the shabang back to
> > /bin/bash.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >

> Bash is not found in /bin in various BSDs.
>
> Allan

Right, I was mentionning "most systems", this is no universal solution of
course. But having this rule in the wiki does not make much sense if the shabang
is automagically generated.

By the way makepkg has other portability issues on *BSD systems. So far I could
spot these:
* bsdtar should be tar. We would need a wrapper function then.
* @SEDINPLACE@ is not portable once autotooled, not standard, and not the right
  way to do it anyway. 'ex' should be used instead. For instance (not tested)

  ex -sc "%s:^pkgver=[^ ]*:pkgver=$newpkgver:|xit" "$BUILDFILE"

But maybe the case of *BSD systems is not extremely relevant since they all have
a portage tree and makepkg would not be of much help. In which case the shabang
to /bin/bash makes more sense! :p

--
Pierre Neidhardt

Conversation enriches the understanding, but solitude is the school of genius.