[pacman-dev] Display messages from install scripts after all packages have been installed

Andrew Gregory andrew.gregory.8 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 07:52:09 UTC 2015

On 12/22/15 at 10:14pm, Jashandeep Sohi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sure this question/request must have been asked before, however I
> wasn't able to find anything by searching for it. Apologies in advance
> if this is the wrong place to post.
>
> Install scripts bundled with packages sometimes print *important*
> changes/warnings when a package is installed or upgraded. These
> warnings are clearly visible when installing a single package, but
> tend to get lost when installing lots of packages because the install
> script hooks run right after each package is installed.
>
> I'm wondering if there is someway to delay the printing of these
> messages/warnings until all packages have been installed.
> Could/should a new hook be added that could run after all packages
> have been installed?
> Does anyone besides me even care?
>
> Thanks,
> Jashandeep

Not every feature needs to be integrated directly into pacman.
Everything you want is in the log, feel free to use a wrapper to parse
it out yourself:

 #!/bin/bash

 logfile='/var/log/pacman.log'
 lines="$(wc --lines "$logfile" | cut --fields=1 --delimiter=' ')"
 (( lines++ ))
 pacman "$@"
 tail --lines=+$lines "$logfile" | paclog --caller='ALPM-SCRIPTLET' --warnings
 # or naive parsing for those without paclog
 #tail --lines=+$lines "$logfile" | grep --extended-regexp '\[ALPM-SCRIPTLET\]|error:|warning:'

apg