[pacman-dev] Delete just $pkgdir instead of whole $pkgdirbase

David Macek david.macek.0 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 15:52:21 UTC 2015

On 23. 2. 2015 16:23, Allan McRae wrote:
> I need case two explained to me more.  Why are you not using two PKGBUILDs?

Basically, the situation with "mingw" packages (which contain native Windows programs, while "msys2" packaged programs run on a POSIX emulation layer) is kind of like multilib, but 32 bits are equally important as 64 bits. In interest of de-duplication, there is always only one PKGBUILD per package, for both mingw32 and mingw64.

More detailed explanation: As you may know, 64-bit Windows are capable of running 32-bit software by default, and a lot of existing software has not been ported to 64 bits. For msys2, users are expected to install the variant with same amount of bits as the host Windows and packages are chosen according to the `arch` field. But since it's desirable to allow users to install both bitness variants of mingw packages, these have `arch=any` and are differentiated by a prefix in package name. As there is no correct or default amount of bits, both package variants are built with the same PKGBUILD using several envvars to switch between the variants. In order to promote always building both variants, the makepkg-mingw wrapper invokes the two builds in succession by default.

I hope my explanation helps.

Note that although I'm interested in a better way to organize these things, it's unlikely anything will change in foreseeable future (probably not until 32-bit Windows dies out).

--
David Macek