[pacman-dev] Pacman Hooks file format

Sam S. smls75 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 11:21:57 UTC 2015

Hi pacman devs!

Allan pointed me to
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Pacman_Hooks in his
blog comments, and I think it's great that such hooks will be added to
pacman (hopefully for the next release)!

I've got a small suggestion for the file format for specifying the
hooks. If it is already set in stone please disregard this email; This
is just in case it's still open to brainstorming:

Did you consider separating the options by whether they define the
trigger, or specify the action to be run for each instance where the
hook was triggered?
This might make the format more self-explanatory, and more extensible
in case support for more complicated triggers/actions is added in the
future.

So instead of:

    [Hook]
    Description = Add info files to the info directory
    Type = PostTransaction

    [Target]
    File = /usr/share/info/*
    Exec = install-info %f /usr/share/info/dir &>/dev/null

It might read:

    [Hook]
    Description = Add info files to the info directory

    [Trigger]
    FileInstalled = /usr/share/info/*

    [Action]
    Stage = PostTransaction
    Exec = install-info %f /usr/share/info/dir &>/dev/null