[pacman-dev] Splitting makepkg and copyright years.

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Jan 27 03:16:23 UTC 2015

I would like some help with two things:

1) have people got opinions on what I have posted so far with the
splitting up of makepkg.  I have decreased the size of the makepkg
script by 6% so far!  So much more to do...

I think it has a few real advantages:
 a) testing can be done on individual sections more easily

 b) it is less daunting to patch a section rather than a ~4000 line script

 c) I think we can have drop in modules (e.g. something like the UPX
compression or optipng could be added by just dropping a file into the
/usr/share/makepkg/tidy folder).

2) copyright years.   So far I just use git blame and take the year
range for a piece of code.  I think this works well on the bigger pieces
of code, but smaller things have had minor changes and the year range is
quite minimal.  For example, I know the code to remove libtool files was
around longer than "2013-2015".   Is there a solution to this?

Do these files even need copyrights?  I note that non of the files
included by m4 in scripts/library have any copyright (which makes sense
as they are being included into the final script file).  We also have
the global copyright notice in the source root.

Cheers,
Allan