[pacman-dev] Directory permission warnings

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Jan 31 13:56:56 UTC 2015

It seems people are getting really confused with the directory
permission warnings that makepkg prints when upgrading a package that
changes some permissions in its install script.

There are a few ways to deal with this:

1) some packages have a reserved user:group ids - these should be
chmoded in the PKGBUILD rather than the install scriptlet.

2) We somehow flag those directories/files that will change permissions.
 This will stop the directory permission warnings and -Qkk errors.

3) I opened a bug a couple of years ago:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/30185 .  Most (all?) of the directory
permission warnings are for directories owned by an individual package.
 So we should just fix the permissions.  This will still leave -Qkk errors.

Any other thoughts on this?