[pacman-dev] Source Package Repositories

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun Jul 5 11:36:31 UTC 2015

Now we have .SRCINFO in source packages, it would be easy to add the
source packages to a repository and have pacman be able to access them.
 This will kill ABS in Arch!

There are two ideas on how this should be handled:

1) Add source package information in the .db file if it is there when a
package is added

or

2) Have a separate .source repository

I have listed the pros/cons of each approach here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Pacman_Source_Repositories

I personally like #2, because adding them to .db files is a major
increase in size.  Currently, signatures take up ~55% of the average
sync database size.  With the source package also having a signature,
that increases the db by slightly more than that much again.

Any other comments to add to the debate before I make a final decision
and implement this?

Cheers,
Allan