[pacman-dev] Version bounds for IgnorePkg

Daniel Schoepe daniel at schoepe.org
Wed Jul 8 09:12:51 UTC 2015

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 17:07 +0200, Andrew Gregory wrote:
> [..]
> I'm fine with having IgnorePkg do both if we can do it sanely, but I
> think the desired effect would be much more straightforward to achieve
> with a separate blacklist option.

I think the equality constraint is somewhat consistent with the previous
intention of IgnorePkg if you see it as "pacman operations should not
affect the state of this package". Without a version constraint, this
means that if the package is installed, it won't be upgraded; if it's
not installed, it won't get installed either. Similarly, for a specific
version, then this version won't get removed or installed. (Note that a
side effect of the current patch is that if the IgnorePkg-ed version is
currently installed, it will never be updated.)

Under that interpretation, it also makes sense that "foo < 5" leads
to foo never getting updated if some foo < 5 is already installed.

That being said, I'm not against adding a separate option for
blacklisting, but I guess it would lead to some additional complexity
and/or duplication in the code (since it does something very similar to
IgnorePkg).

Best regards,
Daniel