[pacman-dev] Patch-proposal for makepkg: be able to use su for installations even if sudo is installed

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Mon Jul 27 10:41:42 UTC 2015

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 10:53:59 +0200 Jonas Große Sundrup
<jonas-aml at letopolis.de> wrote:
> You could solve it by configuring sudo to use the user's password for
> maintenance, but I simply prefer using the root-password for system
> related stuff

sudo can be configured to ask for the target's password rather than your
own. man sudoers look for "targetpw". I've only ever used it for a
whole user, but according to documentation it's even possible to set it
on a command by command basis. I don't know the syntax for that though.

> Therefore the idea of giving the user the option to choose the super
> user binary to allow flexibility in that regard.

If you want to give flexibility you should rather use the value of the
variable as the executable to call, not use it in a comparison that
falls back to su if the value isn't sudo.

That said I don't see the value in adding more complexity to makepkg
when sudo can already do everything and more.