[pacman-dev] Broken pacman output when resizing

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Sun Nov 29 13:03:09 UTC 2015

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 13:14:46 +0100 Constantin Weißer <i7c at posteo.de>
wrote:
> version1 uses a fixed 100 columns output, version2 a fixed 80 columns
> output.

Why do you force it to be 80 chars wide? How about simply limiting it
to 80 chars?

>  -> [254.5 MiB] ↓7.49M/s 01:00                       [######--------------]  36%

The whitespace after the time seems totally unnecessary. Sure, it's in
line with the version where you display the total percentage, but a
user is never going to see both at once so why bother?

Just get rid of the whitespace and either use a fixed length for the
progress bar or start after the time and fill it up to 80. I'm in favour
of pinning the length to 20 chars though because I feel like this gives
enough visual indication of progress. This will result in the progress
bar being at different positions all the time, but if the user only
ever sees one this does not matter.

Apart from that I like the idea. I don't see any value in having the
output cluttered with 100% progress bars.