[pacman-dev] Source Package Versioning

David Manouchehri david at davidmanouchehri.com
Sun Sep 6 13:02:00 UTC 2015

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 12:23 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 06/09/15 10:42, David Manouchehri wrote:
> > For sharing/keeping source packages, is there any reason not to include
> > .git/ if it's present when creating a .src.tar*?
> >
> > I know a fair amount of Arch devs are on SVN, so it would definitely need
> > to be optional.
> >

> Size. Private stuff in .git.
>
> And git repos are better distributed in other ways.

Regarding size, hopefully people aren't tracking binaries to begin with.
Compressed text files shouldn't be huge.

What private information would be in .git/? Clearing the cache should
prevent that if it's a concern.

I agree that there's better ways to share Git projects, but I've never been
in a situation where I wish I *didn't* have a package's version history.