[pacman-dev] Download options

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Dec 2 06:47:41 UTC 2016

There was many thread and patches regarding this, so I am starting another!

So far there are two (maybe three) things people want options for to do
with the downloader.  I see most of these options being set in
pacman.conf and rarely specified on the command line.  Argue with me if
I am wrong here...

Based on that assumption, here are my preferred option names (for both
pacman.conf and the command line):

1) Disable low speed timeout

DisableDownloadTimeout
--disable-download-timeout

I see no need to separate out speed and time timeouts.

2) Set maximum download speed

MaxDownloadSpeed
--max-download-speed

I would also accept replacing speed with limit.

3) (in a glorious future) Set maximum concurrent downloads

MaxConcurrentDownloads
--max-concurrent-downloads

Any argument about these option names will need to be very clearly
justified.  I don't own a bike so have no need for a bikeshed.

Allan