[pacman-dev] makepkg: key verification error

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sat Dec 3 20:41:49 UTC 2016

Hi,

There is a seemingly unending trickle of user comments on the AUR seeking
advice about key verification errors when building packages. The error message
in question is

<pkgname> ... FAILED (unknown public key ...)
==> ERROR: One or more PGP signatures could not be verified!

Would you consider changing this message to make it clear to the user that they
key is not in the *user's* keyring? Maybe something like (key ... not found in
user's keyring: you may need to import it).

The current message seems to leave a lot of users thinking that the key and
signature are shady and untrusted.

Regards,
Xyne

p.s. I still hope that you will re-introduce the --pkg option or an
alternative to selectively install split packages with "-i". (Building them all
makes sense. Giving no option but to install them all, not so much.) I can
provide a package for this as I keep a working patched version of makepkg for
this purpose (and provide it in a package for others).