[pacman-dev] Handling of "maint" branches

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 2 01:14:27 UTC 2016

Hi all,

If there are no objections, I plan to change the way we deal with maint
branches.  I dislike the land patches on maint then merge in to master
thing that has always been done.

Instead of a single maint branch that just follows the latest release, I
will create "pacman-x.y" branches.  Patches from master will be
cherry-picked to that branch (git cherry-pick -x) after landing on
master.  The only patches to land on the release branches directly will
be those that do not apply to master any more.

Given there is no demand for ongoing support for old releases (or at
least no demand has be made apparent to me), there is no real advantage
to this beyond it being my preferred workflow.

I am also happy to hand a release branch over to a *regular contributor*
to maintain while I focus on the developmental release (volunteers
welcome!).

Allan