[pacman-dev] Merging -S and -U - Was: DWIM if user attempts to sync on a file

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Thu Jun 23 11:16:44 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 11:41:12AM +0100, Earnestly via pacman-dev wrote:
> > makepkg doesn't, but pacman does.
>
> Does pacman then disallow forward slashes in repository names?
>
>     pacman -S core/glibc
>
> Is there a great deal of reason to allow slashes in package names when
> it can't be easily represented in the filesystem without escaping
> mechanisms?

No, just the matter of pacman not upholding the same rules as makepkg
because we assume all packages installed by pacman are created by
makepkg. It's lazy programming.

FWIW, this package takes some additional effort to install (one must
create /var/lib/pacman/local/co), and then there's some odd behavior
when trying to query/remove it.

  # pacman -R co/wer
  error: invalid name for database entry 'co'
  error: target not found: co/wer

  # pacman -R local/co/wer
  error: invalid name for database entry 'co'
  error: target not found: co/wer

Why is local/co/cower being parsed as repo 'co' when local/pacman-git
parsed as the local DB?

IMO we really ought to sync the sanity checking behavior of pacman with
that of makepkg.