[pacman-dev] Variable execution time for pacman -Qdt?

Will S wsha.code at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 09:44:14 UTC 2017

I have noticed that the first time I run pacman -Qdt after not running it
for a while it can take a variable amount of time -- usually at least 20
seconds and as long as one minute. If I run it again shortly after that it
completes in less than a second. Is there a simple explanation for this
variation? I have 1705 packages installed and pacman -Qdt lists 26.

The reason I'd like it to be fast is that yaourt calls this command before
a system update, so I get a 20-60 second lag before being prompted for my
password for sudo pacman -Syu.