[pacman-dev] %PGPSIG% vs .sig

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Mon May 29 22:17:10 UTC 2017

On 05/29/2017 04:33 PM, Brandon Milton wrote:
> Thank you for the clarification. After reading Allan's blog post regarding
> keychain separation [1], I understand where my confusion was.
>
> To reiterate what I've learned:
>
> The .sig file allows the user to download a built package and verify it
> outside of a database setting using `pacman -U`.

Correct. Although I believe it has been suggested that pacman start
downloading the sig files instead of bundling it in the repo database,
to save on size.
(This will help prevent the size from exploding if source packages are
added to the databases as well.)

> The .sig files in the AUR are entirely different than those used by pacman,
> as they verify the source files, not the generated .tar.xz files.
> Furthermore, there should never be a .sig file for a .tar.xz resulting from
> `makepkg` since the generated binaries are system-independent.

Not strictly correct. sig files for upstream sources are linked in the
PKGBUILD sources=() array when upstream sources have them available, and
sig files for a .pkg.tar.xz are generated by makepkg --sign or when
makepkg.conf contains BUILDENV=(sign) -- that is to say, when the user
requests it... which generally doesn't happen unless the user is hosting
a binary repo.
(Ignore the fact that the official repos don't use this, and instead
call gpg when uploading the built package.)

Binaries are not necessarily system-dependent. Only the ones with
automagic dependencies, or compiled with -march=native, should be.
This is also why building in a clean chroot helps, as it uses a minimal
set of installed packages and a chroot-specific makepkg.conf with stock
values.

--
Eli Schwartz