[pacman-dev] pulp integration / file format documentation

Simon Peeters peeters.simon at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 17:32:05 UTC 2017

hey all.

As somebody who personally likes archlinux and professionally likes pulp¹,
I am considdering building a pacman plugin for pulp.

To do this ofc I will need to be able to parse and build syncdb's.
I could probably use a python wrapper around libalpm, but:
 a) this might not be easily portable to other distros
    (the idea is pulp shouldn't be bound to running on the distro it serves)
 b) I'm not sure how much using libalpm will influence the host system's behaviour.

So the alternative is to read and write syncdb's from python.
It looks like the file format is easy enough to understand,
and I can probably just reverse engineer it,
but I was wondering if there is any official documentation on it.

An in-between solution might be to read the syncdb natively,
and write the new one using repo-add, but I'm unsure if this would be better.

Greetings

Simon

¹ https://pulpproject.org/