[pacman-dev] repo-add and extended attributes

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Oct 6 17:19:10 UTC 2017

Hi,

I ran into problems with using repo-add inside a Docker instance as
part of my CI build (gitlab CI). The error messages were:

==> Extracting database to a temporary location...
cabal-install-1.24.0.2-0.1/: Cannot restore extended attributes on this file system.
cabal-install-1.24.0.2-0.1/desc: Cannot restore extended attributes on this file system.
bsdtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
==> Extracting database to a temporary location...
cabal-install-1.24.0.2-0.1/: Cannot restore extended attributes on this file system.
cabal-install-1.24.0.2-0.1/desc: Cannot restore extended attributes on this file system.
cabal-install-1.24.0.2-0.1/files: Cannot restore extended attributes on this file system.
bsdtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

After a bit of searching and reading man pages I sprinkled a few
"--no-xattr" on the calls to bsdtar in repo-add. That solved the
problem for me.

I had a quick search through this mailing list and I don't think this
has been brought up before, so now I'm curious as to whether extended
attributes actually are used for anything in the repo databases, or
are they only there due to bsdtar defaults?

/M

--
Magnus Therning              OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

For every problem there is a solution which is clear, simple, and
wrong.
     — HL Mencken