[pacman-dev] Road to 5.1

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed Jan 10 14:58:08 UTC 2018

On 01/10/2018 09:29 AM, Andrew Gregory wrote:
> On 01/09/18 at 09:00am, Dave Reisner wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 03:26:49PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We have not had a release in a long, long time.  Lets fix that!
>>>
>>> There is a substantial number of bugs tagged for a 5.1 release [1].
>>> These were added when we were all younger and more optimistic about the
>>> world...  I have added a 5.2 target, so we can start bumping some to a
>>> future release.
>>>
>>> Please reply here with anything you think is essential to the next
>>> release - even better if you provide a patch!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Allan
>>>

>>> [1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/roadmap/proj3
>>
>> Can we fix extraction based on lookups of user/group so that the
>> nonsense that Arch has been subjected to via systemd-sysusers can be
>> fixed? This should be a simple matter of calling
>> archive_read_disk_set_standard_lookup(archive) prior to extraction. I
>> think agregory has a branch that he's been working on to do this.
>
> I do have a branch to use user/group names, but the change is not
> simple.  It breaks alternate rootdir usage hard.  I haven't noticed
> the systemd-sysusers nonsense myself and only caught bits of IRC
> discussions, can you elaborate on exactly what the problem is?

users/groups work absolutely fine... just as long as we hardcode uids
for any files that need to be packaged with a specific user ownership.

And systemd-sysusers isn't really different from useradd in that respect
(we still hardcode uids in sysusers files).

But while trying to move to sysusers, we've hit "interesting" issues
like this: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/56818
It did not used to be a problem, until we started relying on systemd's
own basic.conf to create the "lp" user rather than hardcoding an id in
filesystem's /etc/group

But if we define our own sysuser with a hardcoded uid, then it will
clash with basic.conf...

--
Eli Schwartz