[pacman-dev] pacman user+group support without mtree

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Jun 4 21:01:22 UTC 2018

On 06/04/2018 04:55 PM, pacman-dev via pacman-dev wrote:

> Hello Pacman Dev, The basic question first, is there a way to create
> a tarball with .PKGINFO and use that tarball as a pacman package to
> install files with particular permissions without also adding a
> .MTREE file to that tarball?
>
> More context, currently we install files into our servers using a
> bash script.  It pops open a tarball, keeping the users, groups,
> permissions, times for the files in the tarball, then it copies each
> file to the filesystem according to their location in the tarball.
> It works great for a cheap slightly better then POC solution.  That
> tarball and a pacman pkg file are vary similar in that those are both
> tar files, with the files listed according to their desired location
> on the filesystem.    So my idea was that it would be relatively easy
> for me to add the appropriate .PKGINFO into the tarball and switch
> from using my bash script to using pacman itself.  This all worked
> great, except for users.  In this case the file was created, in the
> right place, with the right permissions but the wrong user and group.

I'd suggest you have two choices to proceed from here:
- use makepkg to repackage your tarball
- generate the .MTREE which pacman expects

The .MTREE is simple to make, this is where makepkg generates it:
https://git.archlinux.org/pacman.git/tree/scripts/makepkg.sh.in?h=v5.1.0#n763

As you can see, it's really just bsdtar --format=mtree with a couple
other options.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User