[pacman-dev] pacman 5.1.1 and the "final" makepkg bug

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Jun 21 01:41:42 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I think we are near the point for a pacman-5.1.1 release.   My intention
is for it to be basically what on master current + the couple of patches
in my patchqueue branch.

The final thing that needs addressing is:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/58776

The gist of this bug is makepkg --printsrcinfo was giving entries like
"depends = perl>=".  We caught these entries because they could be a
genuine mistake.  It turns out this also happens when the version used
requires some bash that calls a function or variable that is not at a
global scope.

While this is fairly easily worked around, it breaks all perl PKGBUILDs
that use the makepkg-template in Arch Linux, and removes the "anything
correct bash is OK" mantra of PKGBUILDs.

I see some choices here:

1) back out the change
2) partially back out the change
3) "hide" the change
4) document the change

For 2), I could see changing the error to a warning, documenting the
change and including it for next release.

For 3), we could print a warning, then strip these empty "<=" at the
end.  Note libprovides and libdepends have dynamcially generated
versions that are not in --sourceinfo so this would align with them.  We
should document that limitation.

Opinions?   (I'm leaning towards #3)

Allan