[pacman-dev] building pacman for a customer foloder

pacman-dev pacman-dev at dodtsair.com
Wed Mar 7 02:49:18 UTC 2018

Hello Pacman Team,

I was trying to build Pacman for installation into a custom folder.

I downloaded the following pacman source code:

https://sources.archlinux.org/other/pacman/pacman-5.0.2.tar.gz

I then ran the following configure command:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pacman/ --disable-doc --disable-shared

After this is seems to be using --prefix for make install but not when building.  The binaries assume a location of /usr/local.  See below for details.  How do I build pacman to run from a custom directory?

To make install I run

$make

$sudo mkdir /usr/local/pacman

$sudo chown localuser:localuser /usr/local/pacman/

$make install

At this point it has installed pacman executable at:

$ls /usr/local/pacman/bin/pacman

/usr/local/pacman/bin/pacman

The configuration file can be found at

$ls /usr/local/pacman/etc/pacman.conf

/usr/local/pacman/etc/pacman.conf

However when I run pacman I get an error, like the following:

$ /usr/local/pacman/bin/pacman -U ~/mist.tar.gz

error: config file /usr/local/etc/pacman.conf could not be read: No such file or directory

If I go and link the file:

$sudo ln -s /usr/local/pacman/etc/pacman.conf /usr/local/etc/

Then run pacman again I still get an error, just now with the var folder:

$/usr/local/pacman/bin/pacman -U ~/mist.tar.gz

error: failed to initialize alpm library

(could not find or read directory: /usr/local/var/lib/pacman/)

It seems to be taking the prefix for installation but not for compile.  What do I need to change to make it run from a different prefix?

Michael Power​