[pacman-dev] alpm-hooks: OVERRIDING HOOKS

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 18 01:28:30 UTC 2018

On 03/17/2018 07:38 PM, Sean Enck wrote:
> I figured that it was spelled out somewhere...it is more that whatever that
> one-way doc pattern was going to be (pacman.conf -> alpm-hooks) makes the
> context for understanding the "OVERRIDING HOOKS" section tougher to consume
> from alpm-hooks (e.g. there is no "See Also: pacman.conf").
>
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 6:43 PM, Andrew Gregory <andrew.gregory.8 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 03/17/18 at 10:36pm, Sean Enck wrote:
>>> If you read the "man alpm-hooks" it alludes to a priority-based directory
>>> overriding behavior. But the directory/priority queue for when hooks are
>>> loaded isn't stated [0]
>>>
>>> Some quick searching indicates: "/etc/pacman.d/hooks" [1] is (at least
>> one
>>> example) place that will override "/usr/share/libalpm/hooks".
>>>
>>> The directories/priorities should be enumerated in the docs. Even if this
>>> is enumerated in another doc page somewhere, since the behavior really
>>> _matters_ in alpm-hooks it should probably be at least re-enumerated here
>>> if not become the source-of-record for this information.
>>>
>>> --Sean
>>>
>>> [0] https://www.archlinux.org/pacman/alpm-hooks.5.html
>>> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Pacman_Hooks
>>
>> man pacman.conf

1) Mailing list etiquette is to reply via bottom-posting, this gets
exponentially more confusing when some posters top-post while the rest
bottom post.

2) Hook dirs depend on your configuration file, of course, and more
importantly, they depend on what tool you use to perform upgrades (as
this is responsible for parsing the configuration file, theoretically
doing whatever it wants to the results, and then dealing with libalpm
via that). That being said, patches welcome!

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User