[pacman-dev] Order of repositories in `pacman.conf`

Stefan Klinger git at stefan-klinger.de
Tue May 29 08:51:52 UTC 2018

Hi,

I only occasionally install individual packages from `testing` or
`community-testing`, mostly if there's a bugfix that has not migrated
to the stable repositories.  However, if I just uncomment the relevant
sections in `/etc/pacman.conf`, the command

    $ pacman -Syu

will try to upgrade all installed packages to the versions from the
testing repositories, because they come first.

I was wondering whether it would be better to change the order of the
repositories in `pacman.conf` to be

    # The testing repositories are disabled by default. To enable, uncomment the
    # repo name header and Include lines. You can add preferred servers immediately
    # after the header, and they will be used before the default mirrors.

    [core]
    Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

    [extra]
    Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

    #[testing]
    #Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

    [community]
    Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

    #[community-testing]
    #Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

    # If you want to run 32 bit applications on your x86_64 system,
    # enable the multilib repositories as required here.

    #[multilib]
    #Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

    #[multilib-testing]
    #Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Of course, this would make it less straight-forward for someone
wanting to install a testing-only system, but is that a common
use-case *except* for the developers?

Just an idea...

Cheers
Stefan

--
http://stefan-klinger.de                                        o/X
I prefer receiving plain text messages, not exceeding 32kB.     /\/