[pacman-dev] Layout of package cache directory

Stefan Klinger git at stefan-klinger.de
Tue May 29 09:09:55 UTC 2018

Another question: I've been playing with using a network shared pacman
cache as described in [1].

I've noticed that the serving machine will hold its own locally
installed packages in `/var/cache/pacman/pkg/`, and the packages it
caches in `/srv/http/pacman-cache`.  These two directories have
different layout, so it's not possible (I guess) to unify them.

Would it make sense to change the directory structure of pacman's
cache to be more like the one used by mirrors?  Maybe it is possible
to change the syntax of the `/etc/pacman.conf` to allow

    Server = /var/cache/pacman/pkg/$repo/os/$arch

I think this should not be the default, but it would make a
network-local cache leaner.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Tips_and_tricks#Dynamic_reverse_proxy_cache_using_nginx

--
http://stefan-klinger.de                                        o/X
I prefer receiving plain text messages, not exceeding 32kB.     /\/