[pacman-dev] Alternatives system

brainpower brainpower at mailbox.org
Thu Apr 4 23:05:24 UTC 2019

Am 01.04.19 um 06:57 schrieb Allan McRae:
> On 1/4/19 2:12 pm, Andrew Gregory wrote:
>> On 04/01/19 at 09:56am, Allan McRae wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I plan to finish implementing an alternatives system for pacman post 5.2
>>> release:
>>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Alternatives
>>>
>>> Any comments or suggestions?
>>
>> "All alternatives are symlinked in /usr/bin so no need to specify the
>> full path."
>>
>> Why?  Arch puts all executables in /usr/bin but other users may not.
>
> Make the path configurable, if anyone ever asks for that.  Or if they
> want a range of locations, extend it to allow optional full paths.  And
> this will have some configurability with the --prefix or --bindir
> configuration options (at least in autotools).

I do think there could be use cases for alternatives outside /usr/bin:

What if someone wanted to use an alternative for something else than a executable?

For example something like  /usr/lib/jvm/default  comes to mind.
So using alternatives couldn't selecting a default java be handled by pacman alone, instead of needing a helper like archlinux-java?
(Or does that helper do anything, alternatives couldn't handle?)

--
regards,
brainpower