[pacman-dev] Adding an expiry time to repo databases

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Dec 13 13:16:52 UTC 2019

On 13/12/19 11:00 pm, Erich Eckner wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Dec 2019, Giancarlo Razzolini wrote:
>
>> Em dezembro 13, 2019 8:39 Allan McRae escreveu:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have made a start at adding an expiry time to repo databases.   See
>>> the three patches here:
>>>
>>> https://patchwork.archlinux.org/bundle/Allan/repo_timestamp/
>>>
>>> My question is, what should we do once a database is determined to be
>>> expired?  Follow the example of a bad signature, and refuse to load it
>>> at all?  Just refuse to install anything from it, but still enable
>>> searching etc?
>>>
>>> Just deciding "bad repo, don't use" will be much easier to implement...
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>

>> I'd go with, if expired, don't touch it *at all*. Even searching from
>> then
>> should not be allowed.
>
> I'm also in favour of this approach. We need some possibility to ignore
> the expiration anyways (e.g. change config option or more convenient:
> some command line flag to override the value from the config file),
> because otherwise it becomes impossible to install from an archived
> repository.

If you want to install from an archived repository, set the timeout to
be super large, or just unset it...

With my current patch, there is no way to unset a single repo with a
global config value.  I'll need to think about how to handle that.  But
you can have no global value and set all repos apart from the one you
don't want to expire.

Allan