[pacman-dev] New Optional Dependencies Aren't Logged.

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sun Mar 17 19:38:02 UTC 2019

Hi Andrew,

> > Oh, the second -i adds the `Optional For' output.  pacman(1) omits
> > that useful fact.  Does this count as a report to get it added?
> >
> >     -i, --info
> >         Display information on a given package.  The -p option can
> >         be used if querying a package file instead of the local
> >         database.  Passing two --info or -i flags will also display
> >         the list of backup files and their modification states.
>
> You're looking at the -Q options

You're right;  not the first time I've got that wrong.

> listing reverse dependencies with -ii only applies to -S and is
> documented in that section.

Okay, but I still don't think -Sii is accurately described in pacman(1).
:-)  It has

    SYNC OPTIONS (APPLY TO -S)
        -i, --info
            Display information on a given sync database package.
            Passing two --info or -i flags will also display those
            packages in all repositories that depend on this package.

yet,

    $ p=gst-plugins-bad
    $ diff <(pacman -Si $p) <(pacman -Sii $p) | cut -c -72
    11a12,13
    > Required By     : cheese  corebird  deepin-music  fractal  gaupol  gno
    > Optional For    : beets  clementine  farstream  gajim  gloobus-preview
    18c20,22
    < Validated By    : MD5 Sum  SHA-256 Sum  Signature
    ---
    > MD5 Sum         : 33cbeb2fcb73beb293bd89525fc32139
    > SHA-256 Sum     : a56e743b23268133beceb9c012b93346104505b46a6b399ee385
    > Signatures      : A5E9288C4FA415FA
    $

I was searching for `option' when reading pacman(1) so would have stood
a better chance of realising -Sii would help had it been there.

--
Cheers, Ralph.