[pacman-dev] ask permission for forking pacman file manager

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sat Mar 23 11:46:17 UTC 2019

Hi,

Allan wrote:
> dimension breaker wrote:
> > the purpose of sending this email is for forking pacman package
> > manager to be a custom file manager with the name we will use.
> > I am as the developer of dracOs linux and columnonggo linux request
> > permission from the Pacman Development Team
> I suggest you contact a lawyer to get advise of what you can and can
> not do with open source software.  No-one here is qualified to give
> legal advise.

Perhaps the language barrier means the request isn't clear and Purnomo
is just being polite in asking first.

Purnomo, https://www.archlinux.org/pacman/#_copyright states pacman is
licensed under the GNU GPL v2 and its COPYING file at
https://git.archlinux.org/pacman.git/tree/ matches that.
The lib/libalpm that's also in that source tree, and that you may find
useful separately from pacman(1), doesn't have a distinct licence and
the comments headers state GNU GPL v2.

I am not a lawyer, but I am not aware of anything in the licensing that
would prevent you changing the name of the command, e.g. to dracman(1).

--
Cheers, Ralph.