[pacman-dev] (no subject)

Erich Eckner arch at eckner.net
Thu Oct 24 16:29:54 UTC 2019

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019, Eli Schwartz wrote:

> On 10/24/19 3:28 AM, arch at eckner.net wrote:
>> Since the update to pacman 5.2.0, `makepkg --printsrcinfo` may emmit
>> warnings about invalid packager format. However, all config variables in
>> /etc/makepkg.conf, as well as directory permissions are not relevant if
>> `--printsrcinfo` is given. So we simply skip the lint_conf and directory
>> permisison checks then.
>
> The warning about PACKAGER is already fixed on master, by only emitting
> the warning when the value is both non-default (by default it is unset
> and therefore uses the internal fallback "Unknown Packager") and an
> invalid format. So we should no longer have issues when using the stock,
> unmodified makepkg.conf -- is it actually worth skipping it entirely?

Ah, right. Sry, I read that, but forgot it when patching the
release-version of makepkg. Skipping entirely was the least-invasive
approach I saw. It is by no means necessary (for me).

> The directory permission checks skipping argument logically applies to
> --packagelist too, and to go one step further, if we're going to have
> special handling of this we should also avoid, for example, checking
> BUILDDIR when running --verifysource or --geninteg. (But we'd still want
> to check SRCDEST, then).
>
> All that being said, the only directory being checked at all is $PWD
> unless you've overridden it via your makepkg.conf, in which case I
> would've presumed it would be writable. :/

Yes, you're right. I had tested with an all-bogus makepkg.conf (e.g. every
variable set to some invalid value) to see, whether the variables are
indeed not needed during --printsrcinfo - and I got tons of directory
permission errors, so I thought, disabling those made sense, too.

In my opinion, this patch can be dropped.

Btw: sry for the splitted email - I intended to put the text in front of
the patch email, but apparently, git send-email did something else.

> --
> Eli Schwartz
> Bug Wrangler and Trusted User

Cheers,