[pacman-dev] Alternatives system brainstorm

Daan van Rossum d.r.vanrossum at gmx.de
Mon Oct 28 13:29:44 UTC 2019

* on Monday, 2019-10-28 23:08 +1000, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Yes - all alternatives are symlinks.   Symlinks are key-value pairs.
> Include directories can be symlinked too.
>
> >  I imagine there may be exceptional situations where the extra power will be nice to have in the future.
>
> Do you have a plausible example where a list of symlinks is not enough?

# pacman -Fl lua lua52 | grep include
lua usr/include/
lua usr/include/lauxlib.h
lua usr/include/lua.h
lua usr/include/lua.hpp
lua usr/include/luaconf.h
lua usr/include/lualib.h
lua52 usr/include/
lua52 usr/include/lua5.2/
lua52 usr/include/lua5.2/lauxlib.h
lua52 usr/include/lua5.2/lua.h
lua52 usr/include/lua5.2/lua.hpp
lua52 usr/include/lua5.2/luaconf.h
lua52 usr/include/lua5.2/lualib.h

Each of the lua header files lives in /usr/include.  A function can symlink all files in a directory using wildcards.  Would you not need at least some form of wildcard support in a list of key-value pairs?

Daan