[pacman-dev] Proposed Changelog Feature

Hong Shick Pak hong at hspak.com
Sat Sep 7 04:51:53 UTC 2019

Hello!

I noticed that PKGBUILD supports a 'changelog=' field to specify a file that
contains release notes for that package and this is query-able via 'pacman -Qc
<package>'. A lot of software these days maintain a CHANGELOG.md or NEWS file
that keeps track of notable changes across versions (including pacman).

Would it be possible for the PKGBUILD to allow users to specify a file to set
for 'changelog=' relative to $srcdir?

Of all the packages installed on my system, only 'terraform' and 'powertop'
have a changelog set. This change would make it extremely trivial for package
maintainers to specify a changelog file if one exists for a project. I think it
would be a nice QoL win for Arch users if more packages took advantage of this
feature.

Let me know if there's an official RFC process for changes! I was not able to
find any evidence of one.

Hong