[pacman-dev] Fw: Pacman support for IPFS

@RubenKelevra cyrond at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 12:08:12 UTC 2020

Hello Robin,

On 2020-04-05 13:38:43 +0200 wrote Robin Broda <robin at broda.me>:

> On 4/5/20 1:19 PM, @RubenKelevra wrote:
> > I was wondering if there's interest from you or the team to
> > implement native IPFS support in pacman?
> >
> > The idea is, to extend the current database definition, by an
> > additional field, which holds the Content-ID necessary to fetch a
> > package from IPFS.
> >

> If the database gets extended by an additional field for every new
> network layer people come up with, where do we draw the line?
>
> This needs a solution that does not require the database format to be
> altered to suit protocol-specific metadata.

I understand the concerns. The Content-ID itself is build around the
'multihash' idea, where the string not only contains a checksum, but
also which checksum algorithm was used - to support multiple checksum
algorithms at the same time and also to be compatible with new checksum
algorithms.

The definition of the Content-ID[0].

Behind the Content-ID is a JSON file, which get's fetched from IPFS.
This contains entries of the individual blocks of a file, with a size
and a Content-ID for this block.

So the data-structure is extremely simple and could be used with any
protocol.

[0] https://github.com/multiformats/cid

Best regards,

Ruben