[pacman-dev] Fw: Pacman support for IPFS

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Apr 13 07:23:35 UTC 2020

On 4/12/20 9:19 PM, @RubenKelevra wrote:
> Sorry, the mail slipped by - or I had answered sooner.
>
> Yes, that's possible. The url is indeed ipfs://$CID
>
> If you got the browser-plugin installed for IPFS, those links will be
> automatically converted to something browser can understand, like
> http://127.0.0.1:8080/ipfs/$CID which then requests the file from the
> local http-gateway of the ipfs-node.
>
> If you have Opera for Android (which got build in IPFS-Support) those
> ipfs://$CID links will natively work.
>
> Maybe we could define something like the DLAGENTS in PKGBUILDS, this
> would allow to extend the field in the future:
>
> ipfs::ipfs://$CID

As far as pacman is concerned, *all* urls will be directly downloaded
with curl. And curl in turn supports many other protocols, though not
AFAICT ipfs. I'd probably recommend running a local http->ipfs proxy for
this. I guess you could also use a custom XferCommand which only
supports ipfs, once you switch your mirrorlist to only use an ipfs server?

How is this content id generated? Is it deterministically generated
based on the file contents, so that repo-add can generate it the same
way it generates the checksum hash, and do so *offline*? Or can
different people end up with different content ids when uploading the
same file?

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User