[pacman-dev] Errors in pacman man pages

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 9 02:35:36 UTC 2020

On 7/8/20 2:25 AM, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Dear pacman maintainer,
> the manpage-l10n project maintains a large number of translations of
> man pages both from a large variety of sources (including packman) as
> well for a large variety of target languages.
>
> During their work translators notice different possible issues in the
> original (english) man pages. Sometimes this is a straightforward
> typo, sometimes a hard to read sentence, sometimes this is a
> convention not held up and sometimes we simply do not understand the
> original.
>
> We use several distributions as sources and update regularly (at
> least every 2 month). This means we are fairly recent (some
> distributions like archlinux also update frequently) but might miss
> the latest upstream version once in a while, so the error might be
> already fixed. We apologize and ask you to close the issue immediately
> if this should be the case, but given the huge volume of projects and
> the very limited number of volunteers we are not able to double check
> each and every issue.

Our manpages are fairly low churn, and I'm pretty sure the status of
what you've noticed has not changed. So no worries on that count.

> Secondly we translators see the manpages in the neutral po format,
> i.e. converted and harmonized, but not the original source (be it man,
> groff, xml or other). So we cannot provide a true patch (where
> possible), but only an approximation which you need to convert into
> your source format.

Our manpages are in the doc/ directory of the source code in asciidoc
format, in case there is interest in providing a patch.

Otherwise, one of us can try looking at it when we have a chance.

> Finally the issues I'm reporting have accumulated over time and are
> not always discovered by me, so sometimes my description of the
> problem my be a bit limited - do not hesitate to ask so we can clarify
> them.

If I understand correctly, these are mostly formatting/markup issues
that help to semantically parse some words e.g. as "do not translate"?

> [...]
> Man page: pacman.8
> Issue:  'Search' 'owns' 'group' 'list' 'check' = option-related words, wrap around with "I<--" and ">" (or "B<--" and ">"?)
>
> "Show less information for certain query operations\\&. This is useful when "
> "pacman\\(cqs output is processed in a script\\&. Search will only show "
> "package names and not version, group, and description information; owns will "
> "only show package names instead of \"file is owned by pkg\" messages; group "
> "will only show package names and omit group names; list will only show files "
> "and omit package names; check will only show pairs of package names and "
> "missing files; a bare query will only show package names rather than names "
> --
> Man page: pacman.8
> Issue: 'Search' 'group' 'list' = option-related words, wrap around with "I<--" and ">"
>
> "Show less information for certain sync operations\\&. This is useful when "
> "pacman\\(cqs output is processed in a script\\&. Search will only show "
> "package names and not repository, version, group, and description "
> "information; list will only show package names and omit databases and "
> "versions; group will only show package names and omit group names\\&."
> --
> Man page: pacman.conf.5
> Issue: wget → B<wget>(1)
>
> "If set, an external program will be used to download all remote files\\&. "
> "All instances of %u will be replaced with the download URL\\&. If present, "
> "instances of %o will be replaced with the local filename, plus a \\(lq\\&."
> "part\\(rq extension, which allows programs like wget to do file resumes "
> "properly\\&."
>
> "This option is useful for users who experience problems with built-in HTTP/"
> "FTP support, or need the more advanced proxy support that comes with "
> "utilities like wget\\&."
> --
> Man page: pacman.conf.5
> Issue: Incorrect markup of -U: "" → B<>
>
> "Set the signature verification level for installing packages using the \"-U"
> "\" operation on a local file\\&. Uses the value from SigLevel as the default"
> "\\&."
> --
> Man page: pacman.conf.5
> Issue: Missing markup of syslog(): syslog() → B<syslog>()
>
> "Log action messages through syslog()\\&. This will insert log entries into /"
> "var/log/messages or equivalent\\&."
> --
> Man page: pacman.conf.5
> Issue: Where did "%o" come from? The XferCommand command usage does not have an %o
>
> "If set, an external program will be used to download all remote files\\&. "
> "All instances of %u will be replaced with the download URL\\&. If present, "
> "instances of %o will be replaced with the local filename, plus a \\(lq\\&."
> "part\\(rq extension, which allows programs like wget to do file resumes "

The rationale here seems to have been that %o is optional.

Currently:

XferCommand = /path/to/command %u

Could be, perhaps:

XferCommand = /path/to/command %u [--out %o]

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User