[pacman-dev] Planning the move to the Arch Linux Gitlab instance

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat May 2 08:29:26 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Arch Linux is setting up its own Gitlab instance.  I have been playing
around with it for the day and I think pacman should transition there.

Note: the current pacman repo on the Arch Gitlab is a playground I have
been using.  It will be deleted.

There are some features that are of interest:
 - CI on merge requests, which will catch build issues automatically.
 - Review where I can easily see what changed on resubmission
 - integrated bug tracker, patchwork, ... meaning I spend less time
updating things on multiple sites.

We can also do things like provide regular developers a namespace.  e.g.
I would own allan/* branches, and could prepare work and request merges
from branches there.

So how would we proceed?

Bugs:
Do we pick a date where we disable new bug submissions on the current
tracker and point towards gitlab?  Are old bug transferred after some
ruthless trimming - I don't think this can be automated...  Do we leave
it open until all bugs get closed?

Patchwork:
The got "cleared" somewhat recently, when an update occurred.  At bit of
effort could followup al the changes needed that never were done and
clear this out.

Mailing list:
New patches would no longer appear here.  I don't know how much we can
get gitlab to report to the mailing list, or if we even want to.  The
mailing list would still serve as a good place to discuss feature
implementation in a more public way.

Date:
What is a good time for all this to happen?  Once Anatol's parallel
downloads patches are fully committed, I'd like to make a 6.0.0beta1
release to get some good coverage on these changes.  Could we move at
the same time?

Let me have opinions.

Cheers,
Allan