[pacman-dev] Bug: using --program-prefix configure option breaks makepkg

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon May 4 22:22:31 UTC 2020

On 5/4/20 5:12 PM, wwijsman at live.nl wrote:
> Thanks for the info! I did manage to fix it for autotools in the way
> gcc does it, for which I've submitted a patch now, but I think you're
> right about Meson. I don't really know much about Meson, though. Are
> you guys planning on keeping autotools supported or is Meson the
> future?

In the long term, we'd like to declare meson feature-compatible and drop
autotools. There is some information here:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/64394

I don't know that meson would be adding such a feature, and this was
never explicitly supported (rather, added for free by autotools), so I'm
not sure whether to tell you to do manual moving around or whether to
add an option for it and manually define executable names during
configure time.

>>> I compile with the following commands: ./configure --
>>> prefix=${PSPDEV}
>>> --with-buildscript=PSPBUILD --with-root-dir=${PSPDEV}/psp
>>> --program-prefix="psp-" --disable-doc make make install
>>>
>>> For this to work, I require the following patch:
>>> https://github.com/sharkwouter/psptoolchain/blob/psp-pacman/patches/pacman-5.2.1.patch
>>>
>>>  Is there a way to prevent me from needing this patch? Besides this
>>> patch, the pacman 5.2.1 tarball build and works fine for my
>>> purposes.
>>>
>>> P.S. I did find another small annoyance. Which is that "make
>>> install"
>>> fails if the bash completion files are already installed.
>>
>> Is this because of:
>>
>>         for completion in makepkg pacman-key; do \
>>             $(LN_S) pacman $(DESTDIR)/$(bashcompdir)/$$completion; \
>>         done
>>
>> Because if so, you can probably get it to work by defining LN_S to
>> add
>> the -f flag.
>
> It seems this can be set in libtool.m4, but that's generated/added by
> autoreconf it seems, so I don't know if that would work. I'll probably
> add a workaround to my build script :/

If it works and covers your use case, then we can simply do this:

$(LN_S) -f pacman $(DESTDIR)/$(bashcompdir)/$$completion

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User