[pacman-dev] [BUG] libalpm: symlink to directory causes conflict

Barnabás Pőcze pobrn at protonmail.com
Mon Sep 28 18:19:01 UTC 2020

Hi,

this may or may not be an actual bug, I'm not sure if it's the intended behaviour.
On my particular system '/lib' is a symbolic link to '/usr/lib'. I was creating a
PKGBUILD for a program that places a systemd service file into '/lib/systemd/...'
during installation. Unfortunately, when I would like to install the created
package, libalpm detects a file conflict between '/lib' (the symlink in the
filesystem) and '/lib' (the directory in the package).

I skimmed through the code, and it seems '_alpm_db_find_fileconflicts()' recognizes
this "conflict". Moreover, it appears that 'extract_single_file()' also cannot handle
this case.

Could someone confirm that this is indeed the intended behaviour? And if yes, why?

Thanks,
Barnabás Pőcze