[pacman-dev] Adding privilege levitation to pacman

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:47:20 UTC 2021

Hello everyone,

For a while now I've been wondering about adding privilege elevation
to pacman, or if you prefer to libalpm.
In particular, one that uses polkit akin to systemd and various other tools.

The reason behind this is a multiple fold, but my main selfish wish is
to get rid of yaourt. As you know, it is an "unsafe pacman wrapper"
which is capable of a very basic elevation via sudo.
Once that is complete, I have been itching to try and minimise the
use/requirement of root, or as it's better known - apply the principle
of least privilege.

Would either of the above be suitable for inclusion in pacman/libalpm?
Having the thumbs-up, before writing and testing the code, would be
appreciated.

Thanks
Emil