[pacman-dev] [RFC] command-line provided paths under --sysroot

Andrew Gregory andrew.gregory.8 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 07:47:14 UTC 2021

Implementing --sysroot the lazy way with a simple chroot turned out to
have a number of complications that significantly reduce its utility.
I've been sitting on a patch to reimplement it by prefixing all
configuration paths with the sysroot, but this raises the question of
how we should handle paths provided on the command line.  Using chroot
meant that all paths, regardless of what they were or where they came
from, would be interpreted relative to the sysroot.  Switching to
manually adjusting paths means that we have the option to change that.

I'm inclined to change pacman to use command line arguments/options
as-is and have --sysroot just modify values from the config file.
I think that's the friendlier option for users.

Thoughts?