CacheServer option (or whatever to work around server error limit)

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Jan 13 13:52:44 UTC 2022

On 13/1/22 23:11, Christian Hesse wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am still struggling with pacman having the server error limit enabled by
> default. My attempt to fix this for my use case with http headers [0] was
> reject.
>
> Also someone proposed to add a configuration option to disable server error
> limit [1]... It was rejected as well.
>
> But I guess the best way to solve this is finally implementing an option
> "CacheServer", as requested a long time ago [2]. Looks like Allan did not
> fine the "spare 30 minutes" [3] to implement... :)
>
> Thus I would like to have a look. Still I would like to have a rough guide
> where to put what and how to glue things. Anybody wants to share some
> thoughts what an acceptable solution should look like?
>
> [0] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2021-May/025159.html
> [1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/71352
> [2] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/23407
> [3] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2021-June/025184.html

I have had a spare 5 minutes...   you need to add a CacheServer global
option to pacman.conf and wire that into pacman & libalpm.   Then when
forming the list of Servers in a download payload for a package, you
need to add that server at the top and note that it is a cache server.
Then in the try next server function, check if we are using the cache
server, and silently move onto the normal servers.

Allan