[arch-dev-public] Updating base /etc files

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 16:28:15 EDT 2007

On 4/3/07, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/31/07, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is split from the "iputils and traceroute" discussion on
> > arch-dev, moving it to the public list, and splitting things out.
> >
> > The issue is that our stock /etc/services and /etc/protocols files suck.
> >
> > Here's what I'd like to do - rip these files out of the iputils
> > package and stick them in the 'filesystem' package.
> >
> > We can then grab updated files from NetBSD:
> > http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/etc/
> > As proposed in this bug report: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/6194
>
> mailcap aside, I've made some package changes.
>
> see here (pacman 3 only)
> [phrak]
> Server = http://archlinux.org/~aaron/repo/
>
> Updates:
> filesystem
> * added /etc/protocols and /etc/services
> * added empty /srv dir
> * removed package specific skel files (bash and xinitrc, etc)
> bash
> * updated to patchlevel 15
> * added the patch level to the version number
> * added skel files for bashrc and bash_profile
> iputils
> * upgraded to 20070202
> * added in the 'traceroute' package
> * SUID ping, ping6, traceroute, traceroute6
>
> Still pending, related to these changes:
> * move skel xinitrc and xsession to xorg-xinitrc
> * move /etc/profile from bash to filesystem
> * remove PS1 from /etc/profile
>
> Lemme know if I covered it all.

Another one.  Global message functions for use in arch scripts.... I'd
like to propose the following, for /usr/lib/archlinux/functions

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.conf

if [ "$USECOLOR" = "YES" -o "$USECOLOR" = "yes" ]; then
    C_WARN="\033[1;33m"     # warning
    C_ERROR="\033[1;31m"    # error
    C_MSG="\033[1;32m"      # message prefix
    C_PLAIN="\033[1;1m"     # plain text

    C_CLEAR="\033[1;0m"
fi

normal() {
    echo -e "    $1"
}
plain() {
    echo -e "    $C_PLAIN$1$C_CLEAR"
}

msg() {
    echo -e "$C_MSG==>$C_CLEAR $C_PLAIN$1$C_CLEAR"
}
warning() {
    echo -e "$C_WARN==> WARNING:$C_CLEAR $C_PLAIN$1$C_CLEAR" >&2
}
error() {
    echo -e "$C_ERROR==> ERROR:$C_CLEAR $C_PLAIN$1$C_CLEAR" >&2
}

#### TESTING ###

plain "hello there, this is plain"
msg "this is a message"