[arch-dev-public] Move from /opt to /usr

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Fri Apr 6 10:22:07 EDT 2007

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: arch-dev-public-bounces at archlinux.org
[mailto:arch-dev-public-bounces at archlinux.org] Namens Roman Kyrylych
Verzonden: vrijdag 6 april 2007 15:48
Aan: Tobias Kieslich; Public mailing list for ArchLinux development
Onderwerp: Re: [arch-dev-public] Move from /opt to /usr

2007/4/6, Tobias Kieslich <tobias at justdreams.de>:
> Hi,
>
>        this is an old issue and I just talked to Jan about that. We both
are
> all for that and will move gnome and xfce. Jan said kde needs some more
> investigation. It'll save us a whole lot of trouble in the long run.

Yeah, I remember that discussion.
I like /opt/{xfce4,gnome,kde,etc}
But that's not critical to me, and solving a lot of trouble is always good.
:-)

> As far as xfce4 is concerned, 4.4.1 is expected to be there around the
> 9th of April. And I plan on using this to move over the whole
> repository. Just one more guess, when moving on to a newer repos layout,
> can we rename xfce4 to xfce, it's somewhat less limiting :P

+1 :)
I always disliked version numbers in package names.

JGC: any timeframe when gst-* could be eliminated and gstreamer0.10-*
could become just gstreamer-*? I mean how many apps still require
gst-* and is there any progress made by their upstream devs? (just
asking)

Moving from /opt to /usr saves me a lot of moves for icon themes, save us
adding the . /etc/profile.d/* scripts to PKGBUILDs, saves us shitting around
in /etc/ld.so.conf, etc.

About gstreamer0.10 -> gstreamer/gst-*: 0.8 is already dead, the files are
removed from CVS and theorethically gstreamer0.10 could get renamed to just
gstreamer. It doesn't make much sense though: what will happen when
GStreamer 0.12 comes out? Do we want to change names of 40 packages just to
get rid of a versioned package name? I could imagine renaming/adding the
gstreamer groupname, but that's about it I guess.